Thursday, May 27, 2010

This Family Changed Our Lives


This is a picture of the family that helped us find answers to prayers. After my brother's death, Lee and I made 8 trips to Utah/Idaho in a short 9 weeks time. At one point Lee said, "We really need to move to Utah." I was surprised at this comment, but we decided that we needed to pray about it. We fasted, prayed, and spent time in the Celestial Room of the temple pondering what to do. Our conclusion: Yes, we need to move to Utah... but not for awhile. After all, with this market it would be terribly difficult to sell our home. And Lee would need to retire and sell the dental practice. Too much to even think about.

One day I was talking to my friend, LaVon, and she told me that our area was getting a new seminary teacher. I started thinking about it, and wondered if they were going to look for a home. I called the current seminary teacher, Bro. Diamond, and told him, in confidence, that we were considering a move to Utah to be closer to aging parents. I told him that I had heard we were getting a new seminary teacher, and was wondering if they might be looking to buy a home. He told me that the Church really wanted them to live in the seminary home. I said that if things changed, and they wanted to come look at our home, we would be willing to show it to them.

One morning I was getting ready for the day, when I had a distinct impression that the new seminary teacher was in town and that they were going to come look at our home. I cleaned up the house in preparation of something that seemed an impossibility. Then the phone rang. It was Bro. Diamond. He said, "Remember that thing we talked about in confidence a few weeks ago? Well they are in town and they want to buy a home. Can they come look at yours, right now?" I said, calmly, "Sure. Come on over." The house was clean, I was ready for them.

I showed them the house, inside and out. They didn't say much, but then we sat down to talk. Bro. Carwin said, "Without even talking to my wife about this I can tell that she loves your house and we want to buy it." I was slightly shocked. I asked if they had looked at other homes, to which he replied "No, we have an appointment tomorrow with our Realtor to look at homes we have searched out on the Internet." I really thought that they would change their minds after seeing other homes, and I told them so. I said, "If you are still interested tomorrow after you look at homes, give us a call and we can talk. Here are some other parts of the conversation:

Carwins: When could you be moved out?
Me: We hadn't planned on moving out until fall, but I suppose we could be out as early as end of June.
Carwins: Very interesting, we need to be in by July.

Carwins: How much are you asking?
Me: I have no idea. We haven't even talked to a Realtor yet. But we are thinking $____.
Carwins: Very interesting, we have been pre-approved for that very amount.

Carwins: How many kids do you have?
Me: 5 boys and 1 girl
Carwins: Wow! That's exactly what we have!

Carwins: What is your Primary like?
Me: Pretty small. I am the chorister.
Carwins (Mindi) Very interesting, I am the chorister, too!

I gave them our garage code and told them that if they wanted to come look at the house again while we were at the temple the next day they could. They met with their Realtor, and she showed them about 8 homes. She could tell they were less than enthusiastic about any of them. She was a bit confused, but then they explained that they had already seen the home that they were supposed to buy. One that wasn't even listed on the market. They brought her over and they showed her the house, as though it were theirs. Our home was the home they wanted to buy.

When we came home from the temple we were surprised to get a phone call asking if they could come over right away. They explained the situation and said their only hesitation was "kicking us out before we were ready." They said that they wanted to continue in the "tradition of raising a righteous family in the home where we raised a righteous family." We were in awe. It was truly a spiritual confirmation that it was time for us to move on.

The next day they came over with their Realtor and gave us a contract offering the full asking price for our home. We accepted, then packed up our bags and drove to Utah to find a home there. We had been looking at homes on the Internet, and even once with a Realtor, so we knew immediately which home we liked best. We put an offer on it, and have a contract on a newer home in Perry, Utah. The half-way mark between my mother in SLC and Lee's parents in Downey, ID. One bonus is that we will be within a mile or 2 from my sister, Karen, and her family.

On Lee's birthday he received a "letter of intent" to purchase the dental practice from his associate, Dr. Sheeks. We are excited about retirement, and the possibilities it gives us to serve our families, travel to visit loved ones, and serve missions for the Church in the future.

All of these events seem quite miraculous to us. We see the Lord's hand in our lives and in these decisions. We no longer are walking by faith, but we have a sure knowledge that this is what the Lord's plan is for us. We don't really understand all the "whys" but we know it is right. It will be difficult for us to leave after spending the past 30 years here, and most especially with children who are settling here. But we hope that with the added time that retirement will give that we will be able to travel more and develop close relationships with all of our grandchildren, even those far away.

We close on our Broomfield home on June 11th and our Perry home on June 18th, and will be completely moved out by June 23rd.

It will be bittersweet, but life is good.

8 comments:

Casey said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jenn said...

Wow! What an amazing experience. We will be very sad to lose you, but your new ward will be thrilled, and lucky, to get you. I'm very excited for you guys! Let me know if I can help in anyway, with anything. Where exactly is Perry? I've never heard of it.

Stacy Wilson Hutchison said...

Wow - thats exciting. Sad to see you leave Broomfield, but it sounds like the right thing to do!! :)

Rachel said...

its good for you guys. but man, I'll have to become my mom's new bff. she (and all of us) will miss you greatly. you are so amazing.

Heather and Scott said...

We are excited to have you in Perry but I still can't believe you are leaving CO to come to little old Perry. See you soon!

Kate said...

I still can hardly believe it

aubony, lars and the girls said...

No comment.

Jim said...

You will be a lifesaver for my family as well. We know the Lord has a hand in this move and we are grateful.