Sunday, July 13, 2008

"No Reds and No Bleach!"

I spent a few days last week in Ft. Collins helping Karen and Spencer with the new baby. Ethan is a hyper and excited little boy! It took all of us to keep Caleb safe from the tight, but loving grip of his older brother. I am sure he will soon learn the meaning of the word "gentle," but until he does Caleb is learning the meaning of "patience and long-suffering." He will be one strong kid if this keeps up!

When I got home last night the house was immaculate, as it always is when Dad is home alone and I am gone. He continues "Natzi Camp" even without any kids at home, but must just order himself around. I was enjoying the smell of Pine Sol and laundry soap when I walked into the bathroom. I noticed that the throw rugs were all clean and fluffed from being in the dryer. But the color had changed. These were brand new rugs that had matched a set of towels and were beige in color when I left, but what I was now looking at was a strange sort of pinkish-purple color.

Me: (in a horrified tone) What did you wash with the bathroom rugs?!
Lee: Just the kitchen rugs.
Me: They're RED! You washed beige with red!?!?!?
Lee: Rugs are rugs, aren't they?
Me: Grrrr......
Lee: I don't get why that happens.
Me: You are now officially banned from washing anything red!

A few months ago while I was out of town I came home to a clean house, once again, and started to iron his work pants. I noticed that his best pair of navy slacks had white spots all over them.

Me: What on earth happened to these pants?!
Lee: I washed them.
Me: What did you wash them with?
Lee: I just poured in a little bleach to help them get really clean.
Me: You put bleach in with navy blue pants?
Lee: Just to help them get really clean.

Normally I say "He can do anything!" but now I say, "But please, no reds and no bleach!"

6 comments:

SNOKAO said...

Thank goodness for the people who know what they are doing. I have my own issues with clothes too. I have melted a few pairs of slacks because the iron was too hot. Thanks for your help this week!

The Staub Squad said...

Oh dad, gotta love em. At least his pants were really clean.

aubony, lars and the girls said...

Some how it make's it ok if he's trying to make them "really clean". I love it!!!

greatgrandma said...

He must of learned that from his Dad because he didn't learn it from me. But I still love them both.

Chelsea and Evan said...

Hahaha..I love that dad used bleach to get his jeans nice and clean!

Jill Land said...

You know, I get the whole bleach and red thing, but what I have a problem with personally is chapstick!! My husband always has a chapstick in his pocket. And it seems that no matter how hard I search, one little, evil stick gets left behind and leaves horrible grease stains in all of the clothes! And you can't get that out! I've had many a ruined shirt due to those darned chapsticks!