Wednesday, March 4, 2009

First Bowl of Oatmeal


Today I had my first bowl of oatmeal since I was a little girl. I hated it when my mother fixed it. It just tasted like a big bowl of glue. I would sit and gag and gag, then try to swallow it, then sometimes throw it up. Once she quit making me eat oatmeal I never had another bowl of it. Until this morning. I decided I needed to give it a try, after some 45 years. The health benefits are tremendous, plus it keeps you satisfied for a long time, or at least that's what I hear. So I cooked me up a pan of steel cut oats, added some pure maple syrup and some banana for sweetness and some chopped, raw almonds for texture. I am happy to say that I even sort of enjoyed it, and didn't even puke.
But I still have never eaten a steak. And I never will.

8 comments:

Louise said...

I thought you used to have oatmeal before you started your smoothies. I thought I got the idea from you to put some craisens and almonds in my oatmeal. Where did that idea come from? I love my bowl of oatmeal each morning, especially with craisens and almonds.

Heather and Scott said...

We have oatmeal every morning. My poor children!

Peggy said...

Louise, you didn't get that idea from me. I used to eat a bowl of Total each morning with craisins and walnuts. Is that what you were thinking of? But not mush. No way.

Louise said...

Guess that is what I was thinking of. I absolutely love oatmeal. Always have, always will. It's my favorite breakfast.

The Staub Squad said...

I really loved oatmeal for a while. Then I ate too much of it and now have a hard time eating it. That seems to be my style. Eat something so much until I hate it.

Burk Family said...

I have oatmeal EVERY MORNING. I love it. I sometimes have it for dinner too. Here's my best tip- don't stir it a lot while its cooking. My mom does that and it turns it to mush. Every time she comes to my house I have to swat her hand like 5 times so she'll leave it alone. It's way better with more texture. I also add some milled flax seed, raisins, cinnamon and sometimes nuts. Goooood eatin'!

SNOKAO said...

I started eating it 2 weeks ago and have lost 12 pounds already. I like to eat it plain. That sure makes me want to eat less.

Brent Manwill said...

So when are you going to try a steak?