Thursday, February 26, 2009

Cell Phone Oblivion!


Today I was driving through town and I came to a stop sign. I noticed a woman with her 4 children waiting to cross the street. I waved them on to cross while I waited at the stop sign. The mother was talking on her cell phone and pretty much oblivious to her surroundings, but was following her children, who were pushing a stroller with a baby in it. As soon as they were right in front of my car, the little boy, who looked like he was about 7, came to a dead stop and started arguing with his little sister. The mother, who was still talking on her cell, stopped, too, but was oblivious to her children fighting, or even to the fact that a car was sitting there waiting for her and her family to cross the street! He swung at her, she ducked, and the mother kept on talking on her cell. He picked up a rock and acted like he was going to throw it at his sister. She ducked again. He held up his hand a second time like he was going to throw it at her. She was cowering. The mother was still talking on the phone. I am sitting there waiting to proceed through the stop sign, and this scene is taking place in front of my car. I finally roll down my window and say to the little boy, "Stop that. You be nice!" The mother finally made eye contact with me, but she said nothing to her kids and kept on yapping.

I call this "Cell Phone Oblivion."

6 comments:

Casey said...

Oh.my.gosh.

Rachel said...

wow. some people....

Burk Family said...

I might be one of those...
Okay, I had a similar experience at Target where these kids were trying to use their whole gift cards without going over so they kept putting things on and then taking them off and it was taking SERIOUSLY like 10 minutes and the mom...totally oblivious, on her phone and i was about to punch her in the nose.

Kate said...

i love that you had to roll down your window and tell them to be nice. i can so see myself doing that too.

aubony, lars and the girls said...

I'm not sure if the cell phone had much to do with that situation, I call that bad parenting!

Brent Manwill said...

I would have been tempted to honk the horn. That would have scared the crap out of them. LOL OK, just joking.