Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Awkward Moments, Part I


I am starting a new column entitled "Awkward Moments." I figure we all have them, and some of us have them everyday. So why not share them with each other, to brighten each other's day, and make us all feel better about the stupid things that we do? So here is my Awkward Moment for the day. I was coming home from the temple this evening, and beings how I had skipped two meals my blood sugar was pretty low and I was in the Craving Mode. You know, where you have to have a piece of key lime pie, and you have to have it 10 minutes ago? So I walk into the store in my Sunday dress, nylons and such, but no sooner do I get into the store when I realize that my left thigh high nylon was riding pretty low. Hmmmm.... what can I do about that in public? I can't very well reach up my skirt and pull it back to the top of my thigh. But clearly it is riding pretty low, almost to my knee top, so I go to an aisle where there aren't any other shoppers. Yes, I reached up and pulled the thigh high back in place. Whew! I continue to shop. Gotta have that key lime pie. Oh oh, it is slipping again. I go to another aisle that is empty. Reach up and pull it up again. Now I realize that I have got to get out of the store and just get to my car without any public embarrassments. I take a few more steps and can feel the darn thing below my knee. Pretty soon it's going to be down around my ankle. So I pick the longest line so I have plenty of time to think this through clearly. Now I am surrounded by other shoppers and I know I can't reach up and adjust. But I know that after I pay for my groceries and start walking to my car the sock will be quite embarrassingly noticeable and I will look like a fool. So I make a quick decision while paying for the groceries. There is only one thing to do, and this is my last chance. I reach up and pull it off completely, stuff it into my purse, while looking at the clerk. She looks at me with a strange look, to which I reply, "Those darn thigh highs! I lost one again!" She laughed hysterically and I walked out of the store, one sock on, one sock off!

8 comments:

Louise said...

Oh, Peg. That is so funny! Were you even able to enjoy your key lime pie?

wrightNOW said...

I laughed very hard. Thanks for sharring your story...I seem to have MANY of those moments, but I think I block them out.

Brent Manwill said...

That's funny Peggy.

The Staub Squad said...

Reminds me of the day this week when Ben pointed at the overweight librarian and said, "Baby." She looked at me and said, "Is he talking to me?" I was so embarrassed I said, "Oh, I think he was pointing at that book." No, there was no baby on the book I pointed to.

Jill Land said...

You and Katie are two peas in a pod! Hilarious. Thanks for sharing!

Kayla said...

I must say that is pretty funny, but reading Katies comment about the baby, That is hilarious! You guys are always good for a laugh!

Kayla said...

I was at church today, and I saw a lady with her thigh high, just one, down around her ankle! I laughed and thought of you!

The basics said...

Ok here's a fun one, you have good stuff on here, so today in S.M. we sat in front of a single brother in our ward who for the frst time brought his new interest to church. A single mom with 3 cute little girls, when the meeting was over I said hello to her, then Kolby, why is it always kolby, leans forward to her and says "THAT LITTLE GIRL WAS BUGGING ME" meaning her daughter, way to welcome them in buddy! Train wreck saw it comen,but all u can do is watch!